Antony Gormley is widely acclaimed for his sculptures, installations and public artworks that investigate the relationship of the human body to space. His work has developed the potential opened up by sculpture since the 1960s through a critical engagement with both his own body and those of others in a way that confronts fundamental questions of where human beings stand in relation to nature and the cosmos. Gormley continually tries to identify the space of art as a place of becoming in which new behaviours, thoughts and feelings can arise.
Gormley’s work has been widely exhibited throughout the UK and internationally with exhibitions at National Gallery Singapore, Singapore (2021); Schauwerk Sindelfingen, Sindelfingen (2021); the Royal Academy of Arts, London (2019); Delos, Greece (2019); Uffizi Gallery, Florence (2019); Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia (2019); Long Museum, Shanghai (2017); National Portrait Gallery, London (2016); Forte di Belvedere, Florence (2015); Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern (2014); Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia (2012); Deichtorhallen, Hamburg (2012); The State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg (2011); Kunsthaus Bregenz, Austria (2010); Hayward Gallery, London (2007); Malmö Konsthall, Sweden (1993) and Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Humlebæk, Denmark (1989). Permanent public works include the Angel of the North (Gateshead, England), Another Place (Crosby Beach, England), Inside Australia (Lake Ballard, Western Australia), Exposure (Lelystad, The Netherlands) and Chord (MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA).
Gormley was awarded the Turner Prize in 1994, the South Bank Prize for Visual Art in 1999, the Bernhard Heiliger Award for Sculpture in 2007, the Obayashi Prize in 2012 and the Praemium Imperiale in 2013. In 1997 he was made an Officer of the British Empire (OBE) and was made a knight in the New Year’s Honours list in 2014. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, an Honorary Doctor of the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Trinity and Jesus Colleges, Cambridge. Gormley has been a Royal Academician since 2003.
Antony Gormley was born in London in 1950.
- Gormley/Lehmbruck: Calling On The Body, Lehmbruck Museum, Duisberg, Germany [Cat.]
- Ground, Museum Voorlinden, Wassenaar, the Netherlands [Cat.]
- Body Space Time, Galleria Continua, San Gimignano, Italy [Cat.]
- Lucio Fontana / Antony Gormley, Negozio Olivetti, Venice, Italy [Cat.]
- Witness VII and Witness VIII, Ecole Du Louvre, Paris, France [permanent installation]
- Strapworks, White Cube, West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
- Asian Field, M+, Hong Kong [Cat.]
- Antony Gormley: Works From The Collection, Hall Art Foundation, Schloss, Derneburg, Germany
- Antony Gormley, National Gallery Singapore, Singapore [Cat.]
- Present, Rana Kunstforening, Rana, Norway
- Field For The British Isles, Northern Gallery For Contemporary Art, Sunderland
- Antony Gormley: Earth Drawings, Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens, Sunderland
- Learning To Be, Schauwerk Sindelfingen, Stuttgart, Germany [Cat.]
- In Habit, Galerie Thaddeus Ropac, Marais, Paris, France [Cat.]
- In Formation, White Cube Masons Yard, London, England [Cat.]
- Feel, Busan Museum of Art, Busan, Korea
- Antony Gormley, Royal Academy of Arts, London, England [Cat.]
- Sight, Various Sites, Delos, Greece [Cat.]
- Present, Gallery of Contemporary Art and Architecture - České Budějovice House of Art, České Budějovice, Czech Republic
- Essere, Le Gallerie Degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy [Cat.]
- Stand, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- A Century of The Artist's Studio: 1920 -2020, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, England [Cat.]
- Domestic Drama, Halle Für Kunst, Steiermark, Vienna
- (In)Visible, Malmö Konstmuseum, Sweden
- Human, 7 Questions, Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art, Seoul, Korea
- Hockney To Himid: 60 Years of British Printmaking, Pallant Art Gallery, Chichester [Cat.]
- Human Conditions of Clay, Chapter Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- Corpus Domini. From The Glorified Body To The Ruins of The Soul, Palazzo Reale, Milan, Italy
- Ti Con Zero, Pilazzo Delle Esposizioni, Rome, Italy
- The Long View, Museum Würth, Künzelsau, Germany
- Socle du Monde Biennale 2021, Heart Herning Museum of Contemporary Art, Herning, Denmark
- Portrayals: Paintings and Drawings From The Arts Council Collection, Banbury Museum & Gallery, Oxfordshire, England
- London Calling, Bancaja Foundation, Valencia, Spain [Cat.]
- Diversity United, Touring: Tempelhof Airport, Berlin, Germany/ Palais De Tokyo, Paris, France/ Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia [Cat.]
- Masterpieces In Miniature, Pallant Art Gallery, Chichester [Cat.]
- Arts Council of England
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham
- British Council
- British Museum, London
- Design Museum, London
- Eton College, Windsor
- Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
- Hampshire County Council, Winchester
- Henry Moore Foundation, Leeds
- Jesus College, Cambridge
- Jupiter Artland, Edinburgh
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds
- Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester
- National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh
- New Art Centre, Salisbury
- Pallant House Gallery, Chichester
- Royal Academy of Arts, London
- Science Museum, London
- Southampton City Art Gallery, Southampton
- South London Gallery, London
- Tate, London
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- Wellcome Collection, London
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, Australia
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien, Vienna, Austria
- Sammlung Essl, Klosterneuburg, Austria
- Lhoist Collection, Brussels, Belgium
- Middelheim Museum, Antwerp, Belgium
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Canada
- Montreal Musée des Beaux Arts, Canada
- Guangdong Museum of Contemporary Art, Guangzhou, China
- Shanghai Powerlong Museum, China
- Arken Museum of Modern Art, Ishøj, Denmark
- HEART Herning Museum of Contemporary Art, Herning, Denmark
- Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Humblebaek, Denmark
- Espoo Museum of Modern Art, Espoo, Finland
- Sastamoinen Collection, Finland
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
- Fonds national d'art contemporain, Paris, France
- Musée d'Art Classique de Mougins, France
- Kunsthalle Bremen, Germany
- Kunsthalle zu Kiel, Germany
- Lehmbruck Museum, Duisburg, Germany
- Museum Würth, Künzelsau, Germany
- Neanderthal Museum, Mettmann, Germany
- Neue Galerie, Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel, Germany
- Sammlung Wemhöener, Berlin, Germany
- SCHAUWERK Sindelfingen, Sindelfingen, Germany
- Asia Society, Hong Kong
- M+ Museum, Hong Kong
- Museum MACAN, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland
- University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
- Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Israel
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy
- CAMUSAC Cassino Museum of Contemporary Art, Cassino, Italy
- Galleria d'Arte Moderna, Turin, Italy
- Benesse House Museum, Naoshima, Japan
- Hakone Open-Air Museum, Hakone, Japan
- Iwaki City Art Museum, Fukushima, Japan
- Kirishima Sculpture Park, Kyushu, Japan
- Koriyama City Museum of Art, Koriyama, Japan
- Museum of Modern Art, Kamakura and Hayama, Japan
- National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, Japan
- Nagoya City Art Museum, Nagoya, Japan
- PLAY! Museum, Tokyo, Japan
- Sapporo Sculpture Park, Hokkaido, Japan
- Takaoka Art Museum, Toyama, Japan
- Tokushima Art Museum, Tokushima, Japan
- Tokyo Opera City Art Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
- Wakayama Prefectoral Museum, Wakayama, Japan
- Fundación AMMA, Mexico City, Mexico
- University of Monterrey, Mexico
- Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, The Netherlands
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Museum Voorlinden, Wassenaar, The Netherlands
- Astrup Fearnley Museet for Moderne Kunst, Oslo, Norway
- Museet for Samtidskunst, Oslo, Norway
- Tjuvholmen Skulpturpark, Oslo, Norway
- Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisbon, Portugal
- Fundação Berardo, Sintra, Portugal
- State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, Russia
- Arario Museum Collection, Seoul, South Korea
- Kyung-Mee Park, PKM, South Korea
- Leeum Samsung Museum, Seoul, South Korea
- Bonnier Collection, Stockholm, Sweden
- Malmo Konsthall, Malmo, Sweden
- Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden
- Umedalen Sculpture Foundation, Umea, Sweden
- Wanås Konst, Knislinge, Sweden
- Weltkunst Foundation, Zurich, Switzerland
- Pinchuk Art Centre, Kiev, Ukraine
- Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, USA
- deCordova Sculpture Park & Museum, Lincoln, Massachusetts, USA
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, Colorado, USA
- Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
- The Goss-Michael Foundation, Dallas, Texas, USA
- Gund Gallery at Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, USA
- Hall Art Foundation, Reading, Vermont, USA
- Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington D.C., USA
- Margulies Foundation, Florida, USA
- MIT List Visual Arts Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Museum of Modern Art, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, California, USA
- Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
- Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art, Johnson County Community College, Kansas, USA
- Linda Pace Foundation, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- Norton Museum of Art, Palm Beach, Florida, USA
- Palm Springs Art Museum, California, USA
- Phillips Collection, Washington D.C., USA
- Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, California, USA
- Smart Museum of Art at the University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Taubman Museum of Art, Virginia, Roanoke, USA
- Try-me, Richmond, Virginia, USA
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
- Ground, Wassenaar, Museum Voorlinden. Oliver Beer and Antony Gormley in conversation. Text by Emily Riddle.
- Fontana/Gormley, Venice, Marsilio Editori SpA. Texts by Luca Massimo Barbero and Antony Gormley.
- Antony Gormley, New York, Rizzoli. Text by Martin Caiger-Smith. Second edition.
- Shaping The World, Guangxi, Guangxi Normal University Press. Conversation between Antony Gormley and Martin Gayford.
- Shaping The World, Turin, Giulio Einaudi Editore. Conversation between Antony Gormley and Martin Gayford.
- Shaping The World, Tokyo, Tokyo Shoseki. Conversation between Antony Gormley and Martin Gayford.
- Antony Gormley, Singapore, Singapore National Gallery. Eugene Tan and Antony Gormley in conversation. Texts by Ackbar Abbas, Qinyi Lim and Russell Storer.
- Learning To Be, Stuttgart and Heidelberg, Schauwerk Sindelfingen & Kehrer Verlag. Texts by Barbara Bergmann, Söke Dinkla, Svenja Frank, Veit Loers, Christiane Schaufler-Munch and Marcus Steinweg.
- Weather, London, Enitharmon Editions. Text by Colm Tóibín.
- In Formation, White Cube, London. Texts by Thalia Allington-Wood and Christian Berger.
- Feel, Busan Museum of Art, Busan. Texts by Enjin Yang, Ki Heykyung, Lee Ufan and Antony Gormley.
- In Habit, Galerie Thaddeus Ropac, Paris. Texts by Jon Wood and Michel Lussault.
- Shaping The World, Thames & Hudson, London and New York. Conversation between Martin Gayford and Antony Gormley.
- Essere, Giunti Editore, Florence, Italy. Texts by Eike D. Schmidt, Luca Massimo Barbero, Shen Qilan, Renata Pintus, Antonio Godoli, and Max Seidel and Serena Calami.
- Antony Gormley On Sculpture, Thames and Hudson, London, England. Text by Antony Gormley. Second edition, softcover.
- Sight, Neon Foundation, Greece. Texts by Demetris Athanasoulis, Iwona Blazwick, Fanis Kafantaris, Elina Kountouri, Emily Riddle, Antony Gormley in conversation with Iwona Blazwick and Elina Kountouri.
- Antony Gormley, Royal Academy, London. Texts by Martin Caiger-Smith, Priyamvada Natarajan, Michael Newman, Jeanette Winterson. First edition.
- Antony Gormley, Royal Academy, London. Texts by Martin Caiger-Smith, Priyamvada Natarajan, Michael Newman, Jeanette Winterson. Second edition.
- Subject, Kettle's Yard, Cambridge, England. Text by Caroline Collier. Antony Gormley in conversation with Jamie Fobert and Jennifer Powell
- Co-Ordinate, Gli Ori / Galleria Continua, San Gimignano. Texts by Marcus Steinweg and Eike D. Schmidt. Antony Gormley in conversation with Jose-Manuel Goncalves
- Earth Body, Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, Salzburg. Text by Max Hollein and a conversation between Antony Gormley and Stephanie Rosenthal
- Critical Mass And Expansion Field, Changsha Museum of Art, Changsha. Text by Shen Qilan and a conversation between Antony Gormley and Hans Ulrich Obrist
- Still Moving, Long Museum, Shanghai. Texts by Pi Li and Richard Noble
- Rooting The Synapse, White Cube, Hong Kong. Text by Hugh Brody, Antony Gormley interviewed by Catherine Lampert
- Antony Gormley, Rizzoli International Editions, New York, USA. Text by Martin Caiger-Smith
- Living Room, Xavier Hufkens, Brussels, Belgium. Text by Bart Verschaffel, Antony Gormley interviewed by Benno Tempel
- Celebrating 800 Years Of Spirit And Endeavour, Salisbury Cathedral, Salisbury. Texts by Sandy Nairne and Jacquiline Cresswell.
- Objects Of Wonder: British Sculpture From The Tate Collection 1950s -Present. Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt, Germany
- A Cool Breeze. Galerie Rudolfinum, Prague, Czech Republic. Text by Petr Nedoma.
- Less Is More. Museum Voorlinden, Wassenar. Texts by Suzanne Swarts, Aaf Brandt Corstius, Rafael Rozendaal and Witeke van Zeil.
- Wohin Das Auge Reicht: Neue Einblicke In Die Sammlung Würth. Swiridoff, Künzelsau, Germany. Sean Rainbird et al.
- Biennale Internationale Saint-Paul De Vence. Editions DEL'ART, Saint-Paul de Vence, France. Text by Loic Deltour.
- Sutra. Sadler's Wells, London. Author unknown.
- Rodin, Le Livre Du Centenaire, Les éditions Rmn-Grand Palais, Paris, France.
- Versus Rodin, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney Australia. Texts by Tony Magnusson, Lisa Slade, Leigh Robb et al
- Blickachsen 9, Wienand Verlag, Cologne, Germany. Oliver Kaeppelin et al.
- Eurovisions: Contemporary Art From The Goldberg Collection, National Art School, Sydney, Australia. Texts by Judith Blackhall (ed.) et al.
- Golem: Avatar D'une Legende D'argile, Éditions Hazan / Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme, Paris. Texts by Ada Ackerman et al.
- Intuition, AsaMer, Gent, Belgium. Text by Margaret Iverson et al.
- Folkestone Triennial 2017. Creative Foundation, Folkestone, England. Text by Lewis Biggs
- Artists Working From Life. Royal Academy of Arts, London. Texts by Martin Gayford et al.
- Wow! The Heidi Horten Collection, Wow! The Heidi Horten Collection, Vienna, Austria. Husslein-Arco et al.
- Golem: Avatar D'une Legende D'argile, Éditions Hazan / Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme, Paris. Texts by Ada Ackerman et al.